- 8 ounces whole wheat pasta (spaghetti, linguine, etc.) – I like DeLallo brand
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 16 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour (or whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence
- 1½ cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- additional ¼ cup water, broth, milk or cream (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh parsley (more to taste)
- Pasta: Cook the pasta according to package directions. Set aside and toss with a little oil to prevent sticking.
- Mushrooms: Melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add one clove of the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 5-10 minutes, until golden brown and softened. Set aside.
- Sauce: Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt again over medium high heat. Add the garlic and saute for a minute until fragrant. Add the flour and herbes de provence. Stir fry for a minute to cook out the flour taste. Add the milk slowly, whisking to incorporate. Let the mixture simmer until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- Assemble: Toss the sauce, pasta, and mushrooms together. Add the olive oil and water as needed to keep the sauce from getting too thick. Stir in the parsley just before serving.
- 1 package (13 Oz) Whole Grain Linguine
- Broccoli Florets
- Red Onion
- Sliced Mushrooms
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cup White Wine
- 1 cup Cream
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 2 cups (or More) Chicken Stock
- Seasoning to taste
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 3 to 4 bunches (2 1/2 pounds total) flat-leaf spinach, trimmed and cleaned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 medium onion, minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces bar cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup milk
- pinch ground nutmeg
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add spinach, and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute. Drain in a colander; rinse with cold water until cool. Squeeze spinach to remove as much liquid as possible; coarsely chop, and set aside.
In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium. Add onion and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add cream cheese and milk; cook, stirring, until cream cheese is melted and smooth. Stir in spinach. Simmer over medium heat until mixture thickens, 8 to 10 minutes. Add nutmeg; season with salt and pepper.