2 cup red lentils
greens from 1 bunch of beets – chopped
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp finely shredded ginger
2 cloves of garlic – chopped
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp ghee
juice of 2 lemons
Sort, wash and drain the red lentils. Put the lentils in a big pot with 8 cups of water, add fenugreek seeds, turmeric, 1 tbsp of ghee and salt. Bring to a full boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low and cover with tight-fitting lid. Simmer until the lentils are soft and fully cooked, about 30 minutes. Purée the lentils in blender or with a hand blender until the consistency is smooth. If the purée is too thick add more water and check for seasoning. Keep it warm.
Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. When ghee is hot, add cumin seeds and fry for 15 seconds until fragrant. Add ginger and garlic, cook it for another minute. Add chopped beet greens, cover and cook for 5 minutes until tender.
Add the beet green mixture to the soup, mix well. Add the juice of lemons and check for salt. Serve warm!
- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 32 oz beef stock*
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 oz small pasta such as Acini di pepei*
- grated parmesan cheese, optional
*check labels for gluten-free.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the beef and salt on high heat until browned, breaking the meat up into small bits. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf, cover and cook low until the beef and the vegetables are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (you may need to add more broth or water if it evaporates too much).
- Add the pasta, stir and cook according to package directions.
- canola cooking spray
- 16 oz cauliflower florets
- 16 oz brussels sprouts, halved
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter (or more oil for DF, W30, V)
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Line a large large baking sheet with foil and spray with oil. Place the cauliflower and the brussels cut side down on the baking sheet, drizzle with oil and roast on the bottom third of the oven 25 minutes, tossing half way until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large sauce pan over low heat and add shallots. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and simmer 5 minutes.
- Shut the oven, reserve about 1 generous cup of the roasted vegetables and keep warm on the baking sheet.
- Transfer the rest to the pot and simmer 2 minutes.
- Transfer in two batches to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve in 4 bowls topped with the roasted vegetables and fresh black pepper, to taste. Serve immediately.