- 3/4 cup dried cellini, cannellini or white navy beans, soaked for several hours or overnight (or 1 can of beans, drained)
- 1 bay leaf
- several peppercorns
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 large tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, sliced as thin as you can
- 2 tablespoons minced flat leaf parsley
- 12 ounce can tuna, packed in water, drained
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
Drain the beans and place in a saucepan with 1 bay leave, several peppercorns, a clove of garlic and 1 tablespoon of salt. Add water to cover by a at least an inch and simmer over low heat, covered, until tender about 1-1/2 to 2 hours. Drain and remove bay leaf, garlic and peppercorns. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of the olive oil.
Slice tops off of the tomatoes and scoop out seeds and most of the flesh with a spoon. Lightly salt the inside of each tomato and place upside down on paper towels to drain for about 3o minutes.