- 1 lb 90% lean ground beef
- 1- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup diced carrot
- 28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 32 oz beef stock*
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 oz small pasta such as Acini di pepei*
- grated parmesan cheese, optional
*check labels for gluten-free.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, saute the beef and salt on high heat until browned, breaking the meat up into small bits. Add the onion, celery and carrots and saute 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf, cover and cook low until the beef and the vegetables are tender, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours (you may need to add more broth or water if it evaporates too much).
- Add the pasta, stir and cook according to package directions.
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 1⁄2 oz. butterhead lettuce, leaves torn
1⁄4 cup chopped and toasted walnuts
1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and thinly sliced
1⁄4 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 (14-oz.) can hearts of palm, drained and thinly sliced on the bias
In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add in remaining ingredients and toss lightly to combine. Serve with grilled chicken or fish, if you like.